Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Joseph and the Butler and Baker Genesis 40:1-19

Joseph and the Butler and Baker

Genesis 40:1-19
I was listening to this being preached on awhile back. The sermon had a different subject matter than what was laid on my heart to look at.
You have Joseph, who is my hero from the word of God. (Some say he was a picture of Christ in the Old Testament. There are many parallels that can be made through their lives). As the part about the Butler and the Baker was read over during the service…my mind got stuck and the wheels started turning.  I wrote it down to come back to…I didn’t want to miss the service at hand. Now I am sitting down to look closer at this part of Joseph’s life.
Before we go any further let me just say this: there are two types of wine in the Bible: fermented and pure from the vine, juice. When the Bible is referring to wine that represents Christ or created by Christ it is pure…NOT going to argue…SO with that said…
The Butler and the Baker did something to make Pharaoh mad. Not sure why, but they ended up in prison with Joseph. One day Joseph came in and saw they were sad and asked what was the problem?  They both had had disturbing dreams and didn’t know what they meant. So, Joseph said that he could tell them, with God's help, what was the interpretation. 

The Butler went first:

BUTLER (Wine steward…fresh juice) Gen 40:9-13 And the chief butler told his dream to Joseph, and said to him, In my dream, behold, a vine was before me; And in the vine were three branches: and it was as though it budded, and her blossoms shot forth; and the clusters thereof brought forth ripe grapes: And Pharaoh's cup was in my hand: and I took the grapes, and pressed them into Pharaoh's cup, and I gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand. And Joseph said unto him, This is the interpretation of it: The three branches are three days: Yet within three days shall Pharaoh lift up thine head, and restore thee unto thy place: and thou shalt deliver Pharaoh's cup into his hand, after the former manner when thou wast his butler. But think on me when it shall be well with thee, and shew kindness, I pray thee, unto me, and make mention of me unto Pharaoh, and bring me out of this house:

Then, the Baker went:

BAKER (Works with leaven) Gen 40:16-19 When the chief baker saw that the interpretation was good, he said unto Joseph, I also was in my dream, and, behold, I had three white baskets on my head: And in the uppermost basket there was of all manner of bakemeats for Pharaoh; and the birds did eat them out of the basket upon my head. And Joseph answered and said, This is the interpretation thereof: The three baskets are three days: Yet within three days shall Pharaoh lift up thy head from off thee, and shall hang thee on a tree; and the birds shall eat thy flesh from off thee.


After three days both interpretation came to pass…Bad for the Baker, good for the Butler.  Now let's look a little closer (excitement mounting)…

BUTLER: 1. A vine was before him…John 15:1 Jesus says He is the true Vine.
                  2. Jesus refers to the grape juice as being the "New Testament in my blood" Jn. 22:20 (and it is because of that blood that we have life)
      3. Jesus was three days in the deepest of deep pits taking our sin to hell and releasing those in paradise (and it is because of the resurrection that we have eternal life)
      4. Joseph asked him to tell Pharaoh about him to bring him out of that “house” (prison)  Jesus ask us to tell others about Him…to give our testimony, to help deliver those out of the bondage of sin.


BAKER: 1. Leaven is a picture of sin. It is hidden in the flour. You can see the effects of it. Gal. 5:9 says “A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.” I doesn’t take much sin to affect your whole life. Without Jesus our sin will be the spiritual death of us with an eternity in Hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment