Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My Mom: Kathryn Spears

My mom was born in 1938 and she grew up post great depression. I don't know if the people of West Virginia got the memo about the depression ending though. When my mom was in school she had a friend, a little redheaded girl, she would come to school everyday without shoes. Her family couldn't afford them. My mom would tell me about this and said how much she had felt sorry for her. I have seen the picture of my mom and uncles from that time...they didn't have much themselves but they did have shoes.

My mom's best friend was Francis...and boy did they find themselves in trouble quite a few times. One time mom and Francis went to her house without telling her mom. When mamaw found her she whipped her all the way home. Mom never did that again.

My mom's papaw owned a grocery store that had a little movie house in the basement...they sold popcorn and soda's. Mom and Francis used to sneak in to the movies.

Mom had a very rough life, I won't go into details. When I was about 12 years old my mom worked at an auto parts in Lorain Oh. She Had a friend, Gail, that worked with her and invited us to be her guest at church, Victory Baptist Temple when it was on Cooper Foster in Lorain OH. The first time my mom went to church there she said it felt like something was pushing her out. Well she tried to keep going anyway.  The church moved to Elyria OH and we stopped going for awhile. Then We started going with Gail again to Tower Baptist Lorain OH. It was here that my mom finally got saved. Thank God for friends inviting friends to church. I CANNOT even begin to imagine where life would have taken me without the Lord in my life. Now I wasn't always perfect and have a lot of scars from running head long into sin. But, that's another story....

No comments:

Post a Comment